South Melbourne Market - Chik's Crib

12 January 2015

South Melbourne Market

My first impression of South Melbourne Market is very positive. The aisles are much wider than Queen Vic Market, and there is a sense of orderliness and cleanliness. 

And of course, the cheese. I finally found a place that stocks my long-sought after Brie de Meaux.




Padre Coffee has a presence here. They have excellent coffee beans that you can buy to make your own brew with, and you can read more about them here





I have found my favourite fruit stall in the world: one that comes well-equipped with an industrial orange juicer that is manned by two affable men. I grabbed an empty 2L can, and asked if they fill it for me on the spot. They obliged, and started feeding oranges into the machine. It was pretty impressive, and I (almost!) wanted to ask if I could have a turn. 





Another store worth a trip to is the Nutshoppe. They sell a variety of fresh nuts and candied fruits. They give out samples generously, and their products are priced pretty reasonably too. We particularly enjoyed their roasted hazelnuts and candied ginger. 





Near the Nutshoppe, be wary when buying fruits from a temporary booth set up across another fruit stall. The person running the store has difficulties with counting the number of fruits honestly accurately. And when it suits him, he has on occasions mix up the 20 and 50 cent coins when giving change. It's store-owners like him that ruin the reputation of the other stalls in the market and make it so much harder for everybody to do their business.  


Just across South Melbourne Market is Chez Dre, a brunch place that has a really good reputation online. I was promised delicious almond croissants from Miss XS, so off we went. 


It's a little tricky to find the place, part of the journey which involves an alleyway. 



It's around the unmistakable Chef's Hat, a restaurant supply chain. Don't give up!

I was surprised to be hit with a sense of deja vu as I entered. Miss XS helpfully informed me that it was the first brunch place we went to when I came to Melbourne, but she added that she didn't expect my goldfish memory to keep track. Surprise! 

I remember the me-from-the-past really enjoyed the coffee. I had their baked eggs then, though I didn't enjoy it much. But then again I never do like baked eggs.   

This time, we bought their almond croissants, which was pretty good. We also sampled a few of their other baked goods, and I was particularly impressed with the chocolate tuiles.    

Chez Dré on Urbanspoon

Looking for other markets? Why not try Queen Victoria Market, the first and most established market in Melbourne. 

No comments:

Post a Comment