Dandenong Pavillion (Flip City) - Chik's Crib

19 December 2014

Dandenong Pavillion (Flip City)

by Miss XS

Dandenong Pavilion makes some of the best burgers in Melbourne. On my recent visit, they really do live up to their fame.



It's kind of a long story how I came to learn about Dandenong Pavilion. I was in my workplace when one day we had lunch catered for us. I didn't have my hopes up for the meal (hey... it's free and everything). but holy sh*t the burger was so good. I've had great burgers elsewhere,  like Melbourne's Brother Burger and The Marvellous Brew, beatbox, royale brothers, andrews Omakase Burger in Singapore and NYC's Shake Shack burger, but unlike the others where I went especially out of my way to try their burgers, this one was an unexpected joy.  The bun was toasted and totally delicious. While I usually leave the buns uneaten, I ate up every single bite here.

The problem was, I couldn't find out which restaurant catered the lunch. The wrapper said "Flip City", and with all my google-fu, there still wasn't anything on the internet. I gave up as a bad job then. A few weeks later, much to my astonishment, I found a picture of a Flip City burger on Instagram. The caption read Dandenong Pavilion, and lo and behold, a brief search online showed the exact burgers. Jackpot!




The General 
I had the opportunity to eat at Dandenong Pavilion recently, being just a short distance away from Dandenong Market. When I got to the restaurant, we were given their menu, which conspicuously lack burgers. Luckily, I learnt from the folks online that you have to ask for their 'Secret Burger Menu'. We did; the waiter gave a nod and came back with their burger menu.



We had The General, McDowwell, and Jiro burgers. They came with a side of fries and condiment, and all were equally delicious. Burgers are not known for being photogenic, but The General's bun was easy enough to identify because it was studded with seeds and grains. It had by far the best buns. Jiro, with its lamb meat, was very memorable as well.


One of The Other Two Burgers
The service too, was excellent. Because we were sharing the burgers, the waitress offered to have the kitchen cut the burgers in half.

The Verdict:
True to Dandenong Pavilion's online reviews, every burger is delicious in their own way, and I want to try 'em all. This is definitely my favourite burger in melbourne by far!




Dandenong Pavilion on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment