Zikrayat - Chik's Crib

11 June 2015

Zikrayat

Ever since I saw how much rave Zikrayat, a Lebanese restaurant, is getting on Urbanspoon (now Zomato), I had my eyes set on it. With a little creative shuffling in our schedules, N and I soon found a spare moment in our last week at Melbourne to squeeze a lunch in at Zikrayat and unwind a little before our examinations. 

We found parking at a nearby Woolworth (what is with our meals and parking at Woolworth...), and made our way to Zikrayat after a couple of wrong turns (and what is with us and wrong turns...). 


The enthusiastic owner came out to greet us when we stepped into his establishment, and we were quickly ushered into our seats and handed the lunch-time menu. When we told him that it's our first time eating Lebanese food, his eyes sparkled and he brought out the full menu alongside, telling us the kitchen would to cook anything we wanted to try. 


We deliberated for a while before the owner dropped by with a couple of glasses of water, and seeing it was our first time having Lebanese cuisine, recommended the Selection of Dips ($14.95). There was Labneh, hummus, baba ghanouj and tabouleh, served alongside 2 breads. I never was a hummus fan, but after seeing so many reviews praising the hummus here, I knew we had to get it. And boy, was I glad we did. 




It was the nicest hummus I had, with a smooth and rich texture. It was so good, I totes forgot all about what the other dips were. Sorry. Call me a hummus convert. 
The bread too was pretty amazing, with an addictive light exterior texture that compliemented the dips perfectly. I can't figure out how the pita breads are made so as to puff up as they bake, but it's definitely something I'll be happy to figure out. Send more bread! 

I decided on a Lamb Shawarma ($19.95 - lunchtime menu). I didn't know much about shawarmas, or even on Lebanese cuisine in general, but the owner smiled when I mentioned it and nodded his approval, so I had high hopes for it. True enough, it was delicious. 
Thanks for the recommendation, Mr Stark! 
N had the Chicken Shawarma ($19.95), which is the star of the two. It is exquisitely delicious. The chicken is tender and fully-flavoured. I snuck a couple of bites, and I wished I had a larger appetite to order one for myself.
Chicken Shawarma
We finished up and headed over to the counter to pay when we saw the selection of Middle Eastern desserts. I was interested in the dessert, but I wasn't sure how much they cost, and more importantly, how they taste - and I wouldn't want to end up with a dud. We hovered around the display for a couple of minutes debating whether we should get one to try when the owner spread his arms and told us that he'll give us dessert on the house. Is it possible to feel shocked, surprise, and touched all at the same time? Someone help sort out my feelings. 
Mahalabiya.
The Mahalabiya is A-W-E-S-O-M-E. I wasn't sure what to expect from it at first. Panna cottas (or any cooked cream dessert) has never impressed me before, but this was on another level completely. I must've scrapped the bottom clean. The crushed pistachio on top was good, but we particularly loved the brown crunchy topping that went so well with the well-chilled custard. (And if someone knows what it's called, please do let on! - UPDATE: the waitress told us on our second visit that it's wheat shavings.) We were so impressed by the Mahalabiya, and also feeling slightly guilty, that we bought a Rice Pudding ($5) to go, which was another recommendation from the owner. It was pretty good, though we far prefer the Mahalabiya, because it is just that good.

Rice Pudding
In short? Amazing food, friendly staff. Bonus points for the suave storeowner who dances to the music, and who is not shy about it. I'll be back in a heartbeat, just to try some of the other dishes like Fried Haloumi and Meat Cigars that Urbanspoon reviewers lauded.  

UPDATE: ON our second visit, we met the owner again. As we paid for our meal, he asked if we had any of the desserts yet. When we told him we did order the Mahalabiya again, he looked really happy and told the waitress ringing up our bill to give us a bag of Turkish Delight on the way out. Sighhhhhhhh. 

Must-Try

Hummus with Pita bread
Chicken Shawarma
Mahalabiya



Click to add a blog post for Zikrayat Lebanese Cuisine on Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment