Don't Mess with Melaka! The Good, the Bad, and 50 Shades In-between: Souvenirs - Chik's Crib

21 February 2017

Don't Mess with Melaka! The Good, the Bad, and 50 Shades In-between: Souvenirs

This is our list of the food products that Malacca is famous for. But it's not just enough to buy them from any random-o-store. Not all pineapple tarts are created equal!   

Gula Melaka

This is the locally-produced palm sugar and is often featured in Asian desserts. If you come to Malacca, it's a shame not to bring some home with you. Cheng's@27 (in Singapore) serves decadent slices of gula melaka chiffon cakes, and online, there are many on-deh-ondeh inspired cakes that heaily features gula melaka.

Pro-tip! The darker the color of the gula melaka, the more pure they are. The lighter-shaded ones are cut with regular sugar. The cheapest that I've seen was RM10 for 2 bags, found at Medan Samudera, a market across the Maritime Museum. 


Pineapple Tarts
There are several famous stores in Melacca: there's Christina Ee, Nyonya Story Enterprise and LW Nyonya Pineapple tart. All three shops carry identical designs: there's the elusive square ones with the most delicate texture (and are always the first to run out!), an open-faced version and a closed version. We bought several boxes from Nyonya, but didn't try the rest. Judging by how often these names come up in equal proportions online. But, we found a place that serves better pineapple tarts than any of them: Yeast Pastry House (see below!) 

Yeast Pastry House
What a top-notch bakery. Of all the food places that I've sampled in Malacca, this one takes the cake. 

It's located right beside Nancy's Kitchen, and it's serendipitous that we chance upon it. I had a sample portion of their Europe Plain Cheesecake (RM15.50/cake). It was so smooth and creamy, I was tempted to lug one home despite the salesperson's warnings that it can only keep for an hour at room temperature. Next time I'll be bringing a cooler bag with me. Update 2017! Yes, we went back and bought one. It was dense and rich without being cloyingly sweet. After many disappointing cheesecakes with a soggy biscuit base, I particularly enjoyed this cheesecake's crunchy base. What a champ.  

Their Pineapple Tarts (RM17.80) also bested all the other bakeries that were famous online. It was more crumbly and buttery than those elusive square pineapple tarts from Nyonya Story Enterprise. In fact, it's one of the best pineapple tarts that I ever had, and for only a fraction of the price that I usually buy for. We bought 11 (buy 10 get 1 free!) boxes here. 

They also make delectable Black Sesame Cookies for CNY. 

Tian Hup Seng Biscuit Enterprise
Traditional Asian pastries are found here in all shape and size. We let the salesperson make several recommendations for us, and every one that we had was pretty delightful. Overall good quality biscuits, and there's something for everyone here. 
This is found along Jonker Street right beside Nyonya Story Enterprise. 

San Shu Gong Food Industries

Right opposite Chung Wah is San Shu Gong, a tourist trap(!) selling souvenir snacks for all your pals back at home. 

East and West Rendezvous
We bought Nyonya Dumplings here.  


Nyonya Kueh
Okay, I'm a bit stuck on this section on where to find good kueh. Baba Charlie enjoys a great reputation online and I read many positive reviews by Singaporean bloggers gushing over their every bite. But honestly, the kuehs here are really really bad. has their quality declined so drastically since from a few years ago since those bloggers visited? Because I'm sure no Singaporeans can be so sua ku to never have had Bengawan Solo before. It's not even a close contest guys. I got so turned off by what I ate here, I didn't even want to eat kueh for the rest of the trip. Just before our trip to Malacca, I signed up for Palate Sensation's Kuih-Making Class, but my sojourn to Baba Charlie had wrecked my enthusiasm for learning them. Sigh. 
There wasn't a queue when we went (hooray for weekday vacations!), but the place was decidedly unimpressive. Miss XS (who came before) already warned me not to get my hopes up, but I was still badly disappointed by the crude quality of their products. Their ondeh-ondeh was fair, but nothing else really warranted a second bite. (Miss XS didn't want to tell me this, but I heard from a certain someone that on Miss XS's previous visit to Baba Charlie, she spat every kueh she bit from into a napkin.) I polished off the ondeh-ondeh, but none of the kuehs got a second bite. Man, I'll be pissed if I had to queue. 

Putu Piring Tengkera *Wishlist*


Go back to Part 1: Where to go in Malacca

No comments:

Post a Comment